Quarantine Workouts/ random encounters with strangers vol 1

Thursday, August 20, 2020

For him: 

Hitting the outdoor gym to run
Drills before the rain comes

When the storm starts 
He keeps tearing the court
Until he is done





For me:

I run laps then start a circuit: sit ups. A stranger walks up, observes from a distance and asks:

"What are you doing?" 

Flat on my back, I turn to look his way. "Sit ups."

"Sorry- dumb question. Can I join you?"

"Sure."

"So are you a trainer?"

"No."

He doesn't care, he joins anyway. He wasn't dressed in workout clothes- but who cares, anyways? Does it even matter what anyone wears anymore in quarantine? He sits down abruptly. I shout the number of reps on my back, blinded by the bright sky.

Sit-ups with a stranger randomly joining the free outdoor gym- so it goes.

He makes outbursts with each set and the running commentary is funny.

"What's next?" he calls.

I suggest bicycle kicks. He asks me what those are. 

I show him. We start. 

"How many of these?" he instantly asks, incredulously.

I'm amused. He loudly yelps during bicycle kicks. 

We finish the circuit. Waving at the random stranger/new outdoor gym member who accomplished a circuit with me on the top of a tall hill with zero pretense - we part ways.

This is what happens during quarantine workouts. 

- - - - -

*short story happened during the stay at home order early this spring.

--Leave Comment--

This entry was posted on Thursday, August 20, 2020. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.


2021 all images and words Copyright Songbird on a tree. Powered by Blogger.