E + E | June 30, 2018

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

IMG_0196

Confetti fluttered in the air like a flock of spinning birds
(so high in the sky they look like dots)

and they flew into the whirlwind white.

Cheers encircled us all loud while newlyweds moved thru the cascading parade, flower wreath on her hair.

They rushed ahead, beautiful ones.

Confetti left open hands and rained loose into the night.

Their silhouettes framed in the car window raised arms to wave.
(in the faint light I saw them smile)

An audience waved back

and the confetti flew wildly.

People clapped.
People cheered.
People laughed and
emptied all the thousands of bits of paper into the air as a last hurrah.

Hurrah,
hurrah,
hurrah!

They were gone.

Gradually, someone returned to the barn where the music still played, in order to dance.
And then somebody followed.
And then every someone followed.
And the couple's wish fulfilled with each snap of ankles from left to right, each arm bending and swinging to rhythm, each waist turned, and each body dancing to music.
(they would be so happy to know the danceing continued late into the night.)

Hurrah,
hurrah,
hurrah!

IMG_0376

I stood in the empty path of their victory march.

All I saw was the stillness of the lane
and the scattered confetti sweeping and dipping and quietly rippling in gusts of night air.

Somebody could have used words to explain the day.

Standing still in the silent swirling confetti without any words,
in a way I was able to make sense of it all
(even though I can't describe the thing at all.)


IMG_0199

All I know is I've never seen my brother so happy in all his life.

--Leave Comment--

This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 4, 2018. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.


2021 all images and words Copyright Songbird on a tree. Powered by Blogger.