It’s been so hot here. Most days if you are outside for more than a little while, the only way you’ll make it is to be by water so you can stay cool. I’ve drenched my entire face in a cold water fountain’s spout multiple times already. It's the most refreshing thing! I recommend it.
I brought a couple young girls to the lake to cool off. The lake was loud and full of activity and a question I was asked completely out of the blue made the whole beach go mute.
“Do you believe God?” I opened my eyes and sat up straight as possible and looked at her. She sat staring at the sand, as I tried to understand what was going on inside her. “Yes I do. I believe in God.” She was quiet, and I asked, “Do you believe God?” “No. Well I don’t know. . . I don’t know God.” she paused, “like, what does God do?”
In that moment, I was overwhelmed with thoughts of what I do know of God, and what he does, and I didn’t know what to say.
“God makes things.”
It just came out and sounded so simple. There were so many things I thought I could say about him, and yet in that moment, that is what I said. “God makes things.”
the universe, sunrises, the stars, people, oceans, SALVATION, God makes flowers, music, God makes it rain, God makes it sunny, God is love, God is mercy, God forgives, God . . . . it’s impossible to explain all that God does and is!
“God made the world. . . And God made me and God made you. And I believe God loves you.” Lord, did I say what I was supposed to say? Did I say what you wanted me to say? Where did that question come from? Our conversation ended and as the lake water tickled my ears, I watched the young and old swim. Feeling inadequate can be a good place to be: needing Him and knowing you need him.
I don’t know what she took away, but I will pray to the God who does, and know that he is faithful in using any spot on and spot off answer. My mind was still spinning as I swam in circles and has been since.
I hardly understand all the things that God does, and I know I don’t know everything that God is doing. No one does. It’s overwhelming to reflect on- in a good way- and I have been since and I still can’t explain it very well. But from the small slice that I do know and believe and can see of God working, I want to worship him.
Because of the things that God has done, I can worship him now, and get to worship what he is doing. I can’t help but think if I were to know everything God is doing, I wouldn’t be able to speak or move or do anything but fall down before his presence. What grace! What mercy.
. . . . .
God is alive. He changes people’s lives.
In a muggy room with fans blowing air every which way, trying to keep up with the number of bodies, a group gathered. Their stomachs were full from a good meal, and hearts starving for the spiritual food. When the voice of a young man praying for the first time hit my ears I was choked by tears.
His prayer was so honest.
“Dear God, this is my first time here. And I can sense that these people are good, and they are very inclusive. I don’t know you, God. But I want to find you.”
I want to find you.
I want to find you.
God is doing. So much more than I can imagine.
“When you seek me, you will find me, when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13
As I thought again tonight of her question and his prayer and this God who saved us and sent Jesus, all I could think is what a crazy, overwhelming, loving God...
God sent Jesus his son, “because of the tender mercy of our God, whereby the sunrise shall visit us from on high to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.” Luke 1:78-79
God sent Jesus his son, “because of the tender mercy of our God, whereby the sunrise shall visit us from on high to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.” Luke 1:78-79
Silent night! Holy night!
Son of God and love’s pure light!
Radiant beams from thy holy face
With the dawn of redeeming grace.
Jesus Lord at Thy birth.
Jesus Lord at Thy birth.
Jesus Lord at Thy birth.
-Silent Night
Mercy and grace. May we always be seeking him.

(I was compelled to share these interactions, as I believe they are a testimony of God power at work in people’s lives. It has been an encouragement to me to continue to believe, pray for the lost to be found, and to thank him for salvation, freedom, and forgiveness. I hope it can be for you, too. )
--Leave Comment--



Post a Comment