My coffee shop saga

Thursday, August 8, 2013

IMG_0464

Well friends! I've just experienced the most weird, no. . . not weird. . . I've just experienced the
most uh. . . something. . . coffee shop interaction. As you can tell, I'm great with words right now. In fact that's really the cause of this whole story. After staring at an almost blank page where my professional cover letter should be appearing and wasn't, I gave one last look at the last sentence I'd typed:

"....these contributing factors really allowed my amazing skills to. freaking. soar."

aaaand decided I'd better stop writing a professional document. (oh don't you worry, I was laughing too)

"I just need to do something, Gabby! Something that's not this. Because I can't. Goodbye."

Gabby replied in a Bethany-affirming tone: "You can do something! Go do something."

So I walked out to the car and ate some carrots, Eeeeeh, what's up, Doc?, called my mom, asked her if I was crazy, then had a brilliant idea: instead of working on my cover letter, I'LL PLAY A BOARD GAME AT THE COFFEE SHOP INSTEAD. DONE.

I walked back into the coffee shop with determination and slammed my laptop shut.

"Gabby! Do you wanna play a game with me??"

"No," she laughed. "No, but you can play a game!"

Okay!

I went to the shelves of games and picked up Scrabble. I've played Scrabble by myself many times. This is not something new. Just ask my old roommates. Sometimes they would make fun of me for playing Scrabble alone on a Friday night.  Sometimes I would play alone multiple nights in a row.  Sometimes mean boys would call me four eyes in first grade. And now I'm all, "Noooow I'm livin' in a big old ciiiity, and all you'll ever be is meeeean!" It's true.

So there I sat, playing scrabble alone in the coffee shop, while Ella diligently worked on her computer. The first word I came up with was a proper noun, which normally is against the rules, but when you're playing with yourself. . . it doesn't matter! HA! Well, it didn't matter until my overly sensitive conscience got the better of me and I took it off the board.

Enter Mr. Stranger. . .

Do you want to play scrabble?

-Oh! 

There he was, standing right in next to me. I looked at Gabby who nodded and answered for me. "Yes, you do!"

-Uh yeah, I do.

Okay, well bring the board over to this table and let's play.

-Okay!

Introductions were made. No longer was I playing Scrabble alone. I was playing Scrabble with Stranger Guy.

Do you come here often?

-No, not really! I recently moved here.

Me too! From where?

-Minnesota. What about you?

South Carolina! I don't know like, anyone here.

He started asking lots of questions and in the mix, mentioned he hangs out with friends from his church. I played "R-E-E-D" and commented that I have been attending the same church.

Really??

-Yep.

I'm glad to hear that! I'm glad to hear that.

He played "L-I-G-T"

-Um. . . what word is that? That's not really a word. . .

What? he stared at the board for a while. Oh! Haha.

He fumbled and took the letters off, then swapped a letter and continued with the questions.

Great. So how did you come to the Lord?

Wait. am I under holy interrogation right now?

I answered as he swapped another letter and asked more spiritual questions. 

Are you homesick? Do you miss your parents?

-Sometimes I'm homesick but they were very supportive in me moving here.

I'm so glad to hear that! Not many parents would be supportive. Did you grow up in a Christian family?

-Yeah, I did.

I'm glad to hear that.

WHY ARE YOU GLAD TO HEAR THIS?

-Is your family all still in South Carolina?

Nope! They're all here in Atlanta. My mom just moved in with me! And her boyfriend. He's awesome.

I thought you said you don't know anyone here. . . ??

So, how do you like church? How do you like our pastor? He's just an amazing guy, isn't he?? So amazing!

-You know, it's different than what I'm used to...but I'm getting used to it.

What are you used to?

-A smaller church, etc...

I named a few differences.

Ah! Out of all the people in this coffee shop, I just think it's crazy that I met you and that you go to the same church!!

-Well, a lot of people at this coffee shop go to that church. *nodding to three college-aged guys talking, carrying their Bibles and notebooks*

Really? I think I'm gonna swap a letter again.

-How do you like church? I asked.

Oh. . . man. I really am just blessed. It's just what I need right now. All my favorite songs. Everything.

-That's great!

Yeah, you know, I was talking to a buddy of mine who goes to church and I was just telling him that a lot of people go to that church with the wrong intentions.

-Like what?

You know. . . they go there because there are a lot of young people there. They go there to find a spouse. I am there for the Lord. I love children. I love serving with children.That's why I'm at church, because I have the opportunity to do both.

I didn't know what to say. He continued.

You know, I'm the last of my fraternity brothers to be married.

He paused and looked at me.

Crap. I'm supposed to respond.

-Oh . . . really?

Yeah! Oh man. . . They keep asking me if I have a girlfriend and I keep saying,  "No. . . not for a while."But last week, I became debt free. No more college debt for me.

-Well, that's great!

I know! I know. It's great. Now I just need to save and not buy a truck. Haha

Silence. Scrabble. 

-What did you go to school for?

I went to school for law enforcement but decided not to do anything with that. I'm thinking towards the future. I don't want my family to be stressed about where I'm at and if I'm coming home at night, and if I might die. I don't want her to have that stress, you know? I really like to avoid stressful things. Just, you know, thinking of the future, thinking of family.

-Yeah. . .

Do you mind me asking, how old are you?

-Twenty

WOW. 20? You're SO young. SO young.

-Well how old are you?

Almost 24. SO old!!

-24? That's really not old.

That's what people tell me. But it feels so old. . . You know, I think we've just swapped letters more than play words.

This game really needs to end. now. before more questions. 

-I think you're right! Well, this is my last word, then I have to go work again.

I played "G-O-R-E". He took a long time then finally played 2 letters.

-Hey thanks for playing Scrabble!

Yeah, it was great! Nice to meet you! I'll put it away. Where does it go? Ok. You better go work. Go on, get back to work.

Stop telling me to work, please.

-Okay, thanks!


We shook hands again.
I thought it was over.
It wasn't.


20 minutes later he walks up to me again, handing me his phone:

Can we be facebook friends? Because I'll probably never see you again.


Help.
-Em


--Leave Comment--

This entry was posted on Thursday, August 8, 2013 and is filed under ,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.


2021 all images and words Copyright Songbird on a tree. Powered by Blogger.