A Sunday afternoon well spent.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

UPDATE: After reading a comment left on this post asking about the finished painting, I took a picture of it and added it!

Original post: It sits there. Blank, white, and full of endless possibilities of what I could make it become. I can paint whatever I want. I just need to think. What to paint, what to paint. I like how it looks like this, just blank. It means I haven't made a mistake yet. It's still pure and organic. But that's not why I brought all of my paint things out. I brought them out because I wanted to paint something on this white sheet. It can't paint itself. So I guess it's up to me.
Here we go. . .

Brush upon brush lay in a line, from small delicate ones to large thick ones.
I pick one out of the plenty.
The paint tubes are piled on each other. Some used frequently. Others used sparingly.
The drawer opens to reveal a treasure of colors, all screaming their different abilities.
With a deep breath, the first stroke is made.
Seeing a similarity, I snap a photo.
I step back to examine my work thus far. Hmmmm. . .it's lacking something. A border.
Slowly but surely, dark strokes are added one by one.
I think I'm done.
New paint stains have left their mark on the smooth wood.
The cloudy water sits still now, waiting to be rinsed.
Bearing new strokes of paint, the rag lays limp on the table.
The clasp clicks shut.
The brush slips back into its pocket, joining the others.
And with that, I tie the knot, and look forward to next time.
Here's the finished painting. It's not exactly what I wanted it to look like, but that's the beauty of painting. I can pull out another fresh, clean sheet and start all over again, whether I try to repeat the same design, or come up with something completely different.
Maybe that's why I love it so much.

4 Comments

This entry was posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

4 Responses to “A Sunday afternoon well spent.”

Anonymous said...

Hey! What does the finished painting look like? J

ninety hands said...

cool blog! I like your painting. I know how intimidating a blank white paper can be.

Anonymous said...

love it, em. and the documentation of it all. i have a present for you sometime in this vein. i will send it with bep if our paths chance to cross sometime in the next year.

l

Bethany said...

in the next year. HA.
MUCH sooner than that, if I have anything to do with it.

Which I do.

Pretty, Em.


2021 all images and words Copyright Songbird on a tree. Powered by Blogger.